Monday, May 21, 2012

Duckling, day 2...hatching continues!


More eggs are hatching as I type. Unfortunately the second duckling to hatch has died. I'm not sure what happened; when we came down this evening, it was dead in the nest with an egg on top of it. I think one of the other eggs may have suffocated it, or perhaps there was just something wrong. We were sad but this is life on a farm. Gordon gave it a decent burial.

But the first duckling is doing just fine and today entertained visitors! Ronna, the grand-duck-mother came with Richard the grand-duck-father, and Tammy and Jacques visited as well. Ronna took some photos...


Her very first grand-duckling!



Proud... well, we're not parents. I don't know what the hell we are. Proud duck guardians? Duckists? Suppliers of the organic grain?




I think Ronna was quite taken with this little one.


Here's Ronna the Duck looking dubious about my presence. Actually, she seems to trust me a lot more than Eugenia did with her babies. Eugenia would attack me if I got within three feet of them, but this evening Ronna actually went to sleep while I was in the pen with her and baby.


You can see cracks on some of these eggs, and a little beak is poking out of the botton of the egg on the left.

Fingers crossed that the rest hatch okay! Last time I there was one that didn't make it, but the rest did fine. I'll keep you posted!





12 comments:

  1. I think Ronna Duck is actually smiling at you in that one pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! :) Maybe she's smiling because she's plotting my demise. ;)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes pretty simple little things go wrong an these little guys don't make it. Don't beat yourself up over it.
    Now just don't become a foster ducky. If they see you first they imprint with you and you become the parent rather than the duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see if the last three eggs hatch. It's not like we need more ducks. But they're so much fun!

      I will make sure they don't imprint on me! Eeek! I can just imagine ducks trailing after me all over the place.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about the second duckling. Duckling #1 is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life on the farm! Sigh. I will get photos of the others soon.

      Delete
  4. All the ducks are pretty cute, even the mommies! You guys look so happy holding the baby ducky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to smile when you're holding one of those tiny perfect fuzzballs! :)

      Delete
  5. What a spoiled cute little adorable duckling :)
    I hope the rest of the hatchings go well. I wish you could video tape one of the hatchings or two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a duck cam, that's what I need!!

      Delete
  6. So much has been happening there!!
    You wondered what you should be called? You have cats, your title is already 'servant'!!
    Jane x
    PS Will get bee pics to you, but don't sweat it, you're rather busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point taken!! I am servant to the furred and feathered.

      I have a bunch of bee and pollinator pics to post, and saw one that looked like your little guy. I have to figure out what it is!!

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!